Subject: Re: connecting USB drives long after boot
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2004 06:53:26
> >My question is, has this been fixed, and if so, in which source
> >trees (1.6X and/or 2.0X)?
> It hasn't been fixed yet.

Would it be difficult to simple preallocate all of the memory blocks
for 1-8 USB drives during boot, then whenever a USB drive is connected,
it is simply allowed to use those preallocated blocks until it gets
disconnected?

It sounds easy in principle, especially if once uses a new kernel
option which includes a number, similar to the ppp pseduo device
option, that would preallocate resources in the kernel and during
boot.

Memory is relatively cheap, so I don't mind losing a chunk of RAM
when no USB drive is connected, if it means that I can reliably
connect/disconnect USB drives without rebooting.

Thanks in advance.
Alicia.