Subject: Windows view of ffs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2004 17:33:41
There were a few mails a week ago about Win2k being able to view ffs
filesystems made on Netbsd 1.6.2. I have been unable to duplicate this using
either NetBSD 1.6.2_STABLE or 2.0_BETA.

My procedure was as follows:

1. Clean disklabel of drive with partitions :
     a: (a few 100MB, 4.2BSD)
     c: (entire drive from sector 63)
     d: (entire drive)

2. newfs on a partitition

3. Tried to view in Win2k SP3 but no joy. It picks up the whole drive as
unallocated.

Has anyone got an idea on things I could try. I feel like I am banging my
head against a wall.

As additional information, I could get a FreeBSD drive created from install
floppies to be seen by Win2k, but the disklabel looked really strange on
NetBSD - on 1.6.2_STABLE it was completely wrong, while 2.0_BETA could mount
the partitions, although there were still funnies with the disklabel.

Any pointers/tips would be very much appreciated ...

 Stuart