Subject: Asus P4P800 SE Problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/2004 14:10:14
Hi,

I intend to buy an Asus P4P800 SE board. I saw in the archives that
there were some problems.

Are the problems with running NetBSD in general now resolved? I need
the system to work stable because it will replace my workstation,
which has died.

Is it possible to run this board only with APM and without ACPI?
I feel a little uncomfortable to run with ACPI for reasons I can't
fully describe. How about the thermal management support that was
missing before?

What about the onboard Ethernet? There were also problems reported.
However I have a fully supported PCI card which I could use until
this is fixed if everything else is working stable.

Also, can I run 1.6.2 (not using the HT feature then) or does it
have to be 2.0?

On a general consideration, do you think that dual channel RAM
boards are appropriate for desktop usage where about the only
CPU intensive task are builds? Or is the possible speed gain not
really noticeable, so that a cheap single channel board would suffice?
Although this sounds like driving with the handbrake on.

Any other recommendations for different boards?

Bye, Chris

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verf=FCgbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1