Subject: Memory leak and Intel 82815 graphics
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2004 11:26:44
I've always been wary of Intel integrated graphics having had problems
getting X running on them. This week, I've been trying to get X working on
an 82815. It's failing with the following error:

xf86BindGARTMemory: Bind key 10 at 0x00000000 (pgoffset 0)
xf86BindGARTMemory: Binding of gart memory with key 10
	at offset 0x0 failed (Cannot allocate memory)

In the past (on 82810, 82810-DC100 and such like), I've always been able to
get X working by adding 'Options "NoDDC" "True"' and altering the VideoRam
settings. On this occasion, these tricks haven't worked. The installation
I'm trying to get this running on is a customised 1.6.2 installation with
mfs /dev and /var and disks mounted read-only. As I experimented, I noticed
that when I did a fresh 1.6.2 installation, it worked fine. Thinking that my
customisations might be messing something up, I tried adding bits in one at
a time to the stock installation. It turns out that simply untarring a large
archive is sufficient to kill X until a reboot, so I am lead to think it's a
memory fragmentation issue (c.f. USB umass devices). Using the mfs /dev and
/var at boot up seems to kill it every time.

It is not currently possible to upgrade these machines to 2.0 as they are
part of a suite at a customer's site.

--
Stephen