Subject: Re: Size of /var on v2.0
To: None <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2004 17:39:44
Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com> writes:
> When building OpenOffice from package sources on NetBSD v2.0G,
> I get an error message complaining that /var is full.  When I installed
> NetBSD v2.0G, I specified 64MB for /var.  What size should I have
> made it?  Any help is appreciated.

No matter what you pick, it will be wrong. Picking the sizes for
multiple partitions is an exercise in futility, I find. Either things
are wildly too large or too small. When they're too large, you curse
that you don't have enough space on the other partition where you need
it. If you make it too small, you curse that you have too much space
on the other partitions and not enough on this one.

I highly recommend not dividing one's disk into multiple partitions
unless you have a worry that some sort of server production will be
harmed by not having limits on the space taken by something. They made
a lot of sense back when a few hundred megs was a giant disk, but now
I'm far from sure there is any point any longer. Just make everything
into one huge / with a few hundred G and you'll be happier.

Perry