Subject: Re: System Question
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Glenn Jarvis <gaj@personainternet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2004 20:10:36
der Mouse wrote:

>Well, there are a lot of mindset changes you'll have to make to really
>get your head around it, but I think perhaps we can ease you into it
>bit by bit. :-)

That would be good :-)

>>I'm tried to install NetBSD on an older system,but encountered a
>>problem.  Here's the layout of the box...
>>

>[trimmed for relevance -dM]
>

>>SoundBlaster Vibra 16bit (with IDE interface)
>>1.2GB Hard Disk (C- Drive)
>>1.0GB Hard Disk (D-Drive)
>>Creative CD5220 CDROM
>>Floppy/HD Controller - Who knows.. 16bit noname
>>

>You don't say where everything is connected, except for referring to
>"the CDROM on the SB IDE interface"; am I correct to infer that the
>"Floppy/HD Controller" has only one IDE chain, and it has the two disks
>on it?

That would be correct. The box used to have a VESA controller with
secondary channels for both the fd and hd, but it croaked last week. The
backup controller is in it's place (16bit) and only allows primary.

>>Now the problem was it couldn't identify the CDROM on the SB IDE
>>interface.
>>

>This doesn't much surprise me; such things often have to be explicitly
>configured, especially if (as I suspect) this is a pre-PCI machine.

You're right. It's a VESA machine. Geez, time flies... I'm remember how
old the box is now :-)

> <>
>
>>Will it need to access it because D-Drive has been added?
>>

>I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Perhaps it's just because _I_
>don't understand the mindset _you're_ coming from, but I can't see any
>reason why adding the other disk would make it need to access the CD
>drive, which leads me to suspect you're actually trying to ask
>something else and phrasing it in a way that's confused me.

I was pretty tired when I wrote that, so I'll give it another go. Try
and bear with me. If I take for example my (yech)Windows box and add a
another HD, it realizes a new drive has been added. Normally it doesn't
require the Windows CD , but who knows...(and that I say sarcastically
of course). Since I'm unfamiliar with the UNIX o/s, I wasn't sure if it
would ask for the CD that I burned the NetBSD ISO's to. If it can't find
the CDROM on the ide channel of the sound card, I'd be in a bit of a spot.
Hopefully this made sense :-)

Glenn

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!