Subject: Re: scsi DLT tape drives
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/2004 14:04:37
Hello,

> in, sd0 and sd1 disappeared. Tech support is claiming this is normal,
> and that the tape has to be the only scsi device on the bus. I am
> incredulous. What do you think?
Half truth, I have a DSS1 streamer, a CDROM and 2 disks on the same
bus. But it's only fast/wide, see below...
But your streamer probably only supports 8bit/10MHz/SE, while U320 is
160MHz/16bit/LVD - you can't mix SE and LVD devices on the same bus (
well, technically you can but that would force all devices to SE
operation which means max. 40MB/s ). If your card doesn't have a good
old 50pin connector I'd look for some cheap SymBios 53c810 or a Tekram
dc315 card on ebay for the slow device(s).

> Is bad tape drive (communications) a possibility? or more to do with
> the medium?
What kind of cable do you use? The SCSI controller is probably confused
about finding a SE device on an LVD cable.

have fun
Michael