Subject: USB (and other stuff) not working on Sony VAIO PCG-FXA47
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/2004 09:35:50
I'm having significant trouble with this Sony laptop (surprise,
surprise) - the model number is PCG-FXA47, which I haven't seen
any other posts on, so I'm hoping someone has some suggestions
for additional stuff I can try.

Everything I've read on the lists indicates that Sony laptops are
notorious for having weird issues, and everyone seems to recommend
enabling a number of the PCIBIOS options; I've done that, but it
doesn't seem to help much.  Among the problems I see:

 - USB doesn't work (this is the biggest problem for me - I hate the
	builtin trackpad!).  Whenever I insert the mouse, I get messages
	like:

	uhub0: port error, restarting port 1
	uhub1: port error, restarting port 1
	uhub1: port error, giving up port 1

 - the onboard ethernet (rtk) will sometimes get into a state where
	it has device timeouts.  I haven't established exactly what
	conditions cause this, but it may be related to whether or
	not I insert a PC card.

 - a Lucent Wavelan card which shows up as wi0 seems to work
	somewhat - I can see signal (using wiconfig wi0) from the AP,
	but I get no network traffic.

 - The audio doesn't really work, though I haven't played with it much
	due to the other problems.  *Sometimes* at boot, I get a bunch
	of "codec busy" messages :

	auvia0 at pci0 dev 7 function 5: PCI configuration registers:
	auvia0: interrupting at irq 5
	auvia0: codec reset timed out
	auvia0: codec busy
	auvia0: codec busy
	auvia0: codec busy
	[lots deleted]
	auvia0: ac97: unknown (0x00000000) codec; no 3D stereo
	auvia0: codec busy
	[lots deleted]
	audio0 at auvia0: full duplex, independent

The kernel config and boot messages are too big to attach, but I've
made them available at a URL below for those interested.  Here's
the various PCIBIOS options that are enabled, tho:

# Configure PCI using BIOS information
options         PCIBIOS                 # PCI BIOS support
options         PCIBIOSVERBOSE          # PCI BIOS verbose info
options         PCIBIOS_ADDR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI I/O addresses
options         PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP       # fixup PCI bus numbering
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI interrupt routing
#options        PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP_FORCE
#options        PCIBIOS_IRQS_HINT=0x0a00 # PCI interrupts hint. IRQ 9 or 11
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_GUESS      # see pcibios(4)
options         PCIINTR_DEBUG           # super-verbose PCI interrupt fixup

(I tried PCI_INTR_FIXUP_FORCE and PCIBIOS_IRQS_HINT as well, with no
more success.  Might another setting of PCIBIOS_IRQS_HINT help?)

I've tried enabling ACPI, but that didn't seem to help either.

Suggestions welcome;  I'd really like to be able to use this laptop!
(it's the only one I have with even a little battery time! :)

The kernel config and boot messages (long!) can be retrieved at the
following URLs:

http://random.tastylime.net/netbsd/gustav.dmesg.boot
http://random.tastylime.net/netbsd/GUSTAV

Thanks in advance for any help!