Subject: Re: compiling /etc/mail
To: Kotlowy <skotlowy@bigpond.net.au>
From: David Burren <db007@burren.cx>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/2004 22:05:09
On 10/06/2004, at 9:13 PM, Kotlowy wrote:

> Thanks for that. "remotehost.com" is actually hotmail.com with all the
> test-emails I've tried. It dosen't work either with this email account
> (skotlowy at bigpond.net.au). Same result, Deferred: Connection timed
> out
> with bigpond.net.au. The physical connection is an ADSL modem with NAT
> configured so the BSD box can be seen on the internet.
>
> I knotice that doing a tcpdump after sending an email to hotmail.com
> sends
> packets to lc2.bay0.hotmail.com 25. I try to telnet to this myself and
> it
> times out. Perhaps sendmail is relaying email to the wrong address?

I think you'll find that Bigpond Broadband blocks port 25: the only way
you'll get outgoing SMTP is to use their relay or to pay for a static
IP (I think the block is off for those).

They informed customers directly about this earlier this year when they
introduced it: there should be something on their support pages about
it.
__
David Burren