Subject: Re: compiling /etc/mail
To: Kotlowy <skotlowy@bigpond.net.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/2004 21:30:05
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Kotlowy wrote:

> I've been working on sendmail for a few days now with no luck. I'm trying to
> get an SMTP server that can send email to users on the local machine as well
> as the outside world. At the moment when I send email to the outside world
> is banks up in the mail queue with "Deferred: Connection timed out with
> remotehost.com". I understand /etc/access needs to be configured for the
> hosts that I want relayed, however all instructions to compile it to
> access.db tell me to use make and /etc/mail/MakeFile doesn't exist.

This,

  cd /etc/mail
  makemap hash access < access

will create the file "/etc/mail/access.db" that the default NetBSD
installation is looking for (from "/etc/mail/access"). However, if you
have mail in the queue, that means it's already been accepted, so the
access database doesn't enter into it. How's your network connectivity
to "remotehost.com"?  Is there a firewall in the way?

> I also knoticed that most of the files that are normaly found in /etc/mail,
> such as sendmail.mc, don't exist in the base installation while they exist
> on other distributions.

We probably should do that.

Frederick