Subject: Re: Radeon 9600 XT dual head
To: Stephen Nelson <st3phen@paradise.net.nz>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/2004 20:13:33
Hi,

XFree86 is confused about PCI identifiers on my system,
I had to set the BusID to the same value on both "cards" to make it work;
otherwise I got problems like the ones you describe. Here's my config:

# vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon 9700/9500 Series (rev. 0x00)
# wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
# wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
# ATI Technologies Radeon 9700/9500 Series Secondary (miscellaneous display) at pci1 dev 0 function 1 not configured

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Radeon0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R300 ND [Radeon 9700]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Radeon1"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R300 ND [Radeon 9700] (port 2)"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen 1
EndSection

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:37:49 +0000
Stephen Nelson <st3phen@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get a radeon card to work correctly using two
> monitors?
> Currently, my card just clones everything on the first monitor onto the
> second. Initially, this resulted in my second monitor complaining about
> incompatible refresh rates (it's lower res.) but after some tinkering
> with my XF86Config file, I managed to get it to clone the screen for X
> also, but it still refuses to allow me to use Xinerama.
>
> As I am not sure what the problem is, here is the relevant part of
> dmesg, and XF86Config
>
> Stephen Nelson

[snip]