Subject: Re: USB mouse
To: Stephen Nelson <st3phen@paradise.net.nz>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2004 01:07:22
On 2004-05-23 st3phen@paradise.net.nz wrote:
> Matthew Orgass wrote:

> >>I don't have a separate hub, and I am using the GENERIC kernel, which I
> >>don't think includes echi
> >>I will try compiling a kernel with echi.
> >>

> >  Did you have ehci before?  Also, did you try removing it and inserting
> >it again (this might help determine the problem)?
> >
> I've just tried my new kernel with ehci, and my mouse works, thanks for
> your help.
> Does this mean NetBSD-2.0 doesn't include support for usb mice by default?

  Since I have seen what might be the same problem, I ran a few tests.
The only way I could reproduce the problem is to hit the reset button on
the system while running an OS that supports ehci (I tried NetBSD and
Windows ME) before booting NetBSD without ehci.  Due to the wonders of
ATX, this happens even if you power off the system between this reset and
when you boot the ehci-free system unless you pull the plug or otherwise
physically remove power.  If you restart normally from the system that
supports ehci, it works fine.  Normally Ctrl-Alt-Del from windows works
ok, but it is possible that some types of crashes could cause similar
problems.  Presumably some chip register is not getting reset, causing the
attach to not be in compatability mode at boot time.  This would seem to
be either a chip or bios bug.  I suspect nothing can reasonably be done
about it other than documenting it.

  Do you happen to have another OS installed that supports ehci and have
hit the reset switch or crashed recently?  In any case, could you try
booting the GENERIC kernel after cleanly rebooting from the ehci kernel?

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com