Subject: Re: Boot-Floppies fail to boot on i386
To: Matthias Petermann <matthias.petermann@gmx.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/2004 21:04:50
On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 12:00:08PM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly serious problem with the NetBSD 2.0-BETA boot-floppies
> on i386 (boot1.fs, boot2.fs). I checked out the current-sources at
> May, 12th and built a release. Earlier current-releases (from April,
> 28th) boot up just fine.

Ok, so we assume you know how to write to floppies!

> But the May, 12th-release raises an error after changing boot
> floppy 1 to boot floppy 2.
>
> <snip>
> booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
> 3648460/
> Please remove disk 1, insert disk 2, and press return...
> +5197916+289576lseek section headers: invalid file offset
> </snip>

Well the numbers are near to the ones on the floppies I'm building.
Where it says "lseek ..." it would normally say "=nnnnnn".
So the code is still in the boot loader.
(Indeed the error message comes from sys/lib/libsa/loadfile_elf32.c)

I'd guess that something is trying to seek backwards - not allowed
on the compressed file.

> After that, the boot process seems to freeze.

Most errors at this stage have that feature!

> I tried it with two
> pairs of floppies, so physical disk-errors could not be the reason.
> The discs were error-checked beforehand. I repeated building the
> release with CVS from May, 20th but the error remains.
>
> What is the best place to report this problem? I wrote a bug
> report (#25552) a few days before, but maybe port-i386 is not the
> right place to report it?

That should be enough, I seem to fail to read that mail item...

Can you send the output of:
$ readelf -a obj/distrib/i386/floppies/instkernel/netbsd-INSTALL

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk