Subject: Re: reading Thinkpad battery serial numbers?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Love <lha@stacken.kth.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2004 17:04:35
--=-=-=

Love <lha@stacken.kth.se> writes:

> Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> writes:
>
>> I know that under some versions of Windows, it's possible to read the
>> serial numbers on the batteries of IBM Thinkpads.  Is that possible
>> under NetBSD?  Something in the ACPI interface, perhaps?
>
> It appears that you if evaluate the BAT0._BIF you'll get back a battery
> information, that among other things have model and serial numbers it it.
> (see 11.2.2.1 in acpi v2 spec)

If sysmon/envsys would to publish vendor, device type and serial
number. Should that be on sensor level or "envsys-sub-device" (the thing
you do register on ? From what I've been readig envsys drivers, I would
guess "envsys", but that doesn't seem to be exposed to userland, only
sensors ?

Love

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--