Subject: Re: USB CF reader problems with 2.0beta
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@kyyhky.embedtronics.fi>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/2004 17:51:39
On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 06:40:16PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Memory: 545M Act, 278M Inact, 528K Wired, 4692K Exec, 811M File, 13M Free
>
> You mean I have to have more than 13+811 MB of RAM to use a CF card?

No, but it needs physically-contiguous memory (and you can't count the 811M
here, as it can only use already-free memory at this point).

> Or reboot every time I want to read a CF card?  You can't be serious ;-)
> This used to work on machines with 64 MB of RAM, and not just after a
> reboot.  Must be a serious bug somewhere.

This depends on the memory usage pattern. Maybe something changed in UVM
that makes the problem worse, but it has always been there.

I agree it should be fixed, but it's not that easy (and, BTW, the agp driver
has the same requirements, and so the same problem).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>