Subject: Re: SIIG Cyber Serial Dual PCI
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/26/2004 15:20:19
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Steven Grunza wrote:

> I just installed a SIIG Cyber Serial Dual PCI card but I don't know what
> /dev device to open to use it.  dmesg reports:
>
> puc0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: SIIG Cyber Serial Dual PCI 16C650 (20x
> family) (
> com, com)
> com3 at puc0 port 0: interrupting at irq 10
> com3: ns16550a, working fifo
> com4 at puc0 port 1: interrupting at irq 10
> com4: ns16550a, working fifo
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo

The two ports are on "/dev/tty03" and "/dev/tty04".

> The system is running NetBSD-1.6, port-i386:

By the way, if you add

   options COM16650

to your kernel config, it'll enable Auto Hardware handshaking on those
cards. (Auto H/W handshaking is the only kind of handshaking that
actually works.) This absolutely eliminates silo overflows, but it may
kill your throughput or even hang the connection, depending on how well
the device at the other hand handles RTS.

NetBSD current and 2.0_BETA set the bits on those cards to permit
speeds to 921600 bps. The bit (in PCI space) can be still be set from
userland on NetBSD 1.6, but it's probably not that useful, because,
even the 32 byte buffer isn't really big enough for speeds > 115200 on
NetBSD, I've found.

Frederick