Subject: Routing Problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/21/2004 13:52:40
Hi

Put together an updated box for routing and logging packets out to the
net from my network.  NetBSD 1.6.2.  Thanks for everyone's efforts.
Looks really good.  Looking forward to being able to use it every day
of the week.

I've configured my Elsa Quickstep 1000 pro PCI ISDN card to work with
this box.  My other box uses the same card.  No problems with this.
Used them for years with Linux and BSD.  After looking at the page
at..

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/isdn/

I can see that isdnd starts at boot time. /etc/ifconfig.ippp0
contains the line "inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 link1 down" and rc.conf
contains the line "defaultroute="0.0.0.1 -iface"  ".  Also,
"isdnd=YES". However, at boot time after routing is turned on and
after isdnd starts I get the following error message......

"writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
adding default gateway: gateway 0.0.0.1: Network is unreachable"

My ethernet card is interrupting at irq 6 and the ISDN card is
interrupting at irq11.  Can ping internal addresses.  The ISDN card is
plugged into the wall socket when the machine boots.  The ISDN cable
is a known quantity.  Works well with other boxes and ISDN cards.

So, it's got to be a routing problem.  Running 'ifconfig ippp0'
reveals that the ippp0 ISDN card is not configured.  No routing
possible. If I type in 'ifconfig ippp0 0.0.0.0 netmask
255.255.255.255' the ISDN card will immediately try to connect to the
outside world but gives up straight away because it can't route
packets to itself.  The error message is something like... "illegal
conf-req in state initial".

I think my problem is that because I'm used to using Linux every day
of the week I'm not completely sure about the syntax for telling my
NetBSD box to route packets through ippp0.  Looked at man ifconfig and
other routing docs.  Can't find anything that is helpful.

Can someone explain how to get the ippp0 interface to route packets in
the way that it should ?  Or, perhaps there is a page on the net that
I can't find with Google.

Regards

Richard