Subject: Re: 3C509 problem
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Dr R.S. Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2004 11:25:55
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Matthias Drochner wrote:

>goteki@pixeloverflow.com said:
>> I still don't get any responses from the NIC.
>
>I havn't used ISA 3com cards for a while, but there was a problem
>when the ISA-PnP models: They were found twice - by the 3com specific
>ISA method and the PnP method, with sometimes contradicting IRQ settings.
>You might have a look at the kernel boot messages, and perhaps
>disable the ISA-PnP stuff using the 3com diagnostics.

I have had two of these cards working quite happily in a firewall
machine.  The trick is to never build a kernel with both isa and isapnp
attachments for the ep driver (or the cards will be seen twice if they
have PnP enabled).

EITHER:
Use the DOS setup program to set all cards to PnP on, and build
a kernel with the isapnp ep attachment only.

OR:
Use the DOS setup program to set all the cards to PnP off, with
unique IRQs and I/O addresses on each, then build a kernel with the
correct number of isa ep instances to match.

Roger