Subject: Re: 3C509 problem
To: Rui Paulo <goteki@pixeloverflow.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2004 15:46:25
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:34:56PM +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 2004.04.19 20:25:07 +0000, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> >
> > goteki@pixeloverflow.com said:
> > > I still don't get any responses from the NIC.
> >
> > I havn't used ISA 3com cards for a while, but there was a problem
> > when the ISA-PnP models: They were found twice - by the 3com specific
> > ISA method and the PnP method, with sometimes contradicting IRQ settings.
> > You might have a look at the kernel boot messages, and perhaps
> > disable the ISA-PnP stuff using the 3com diagnostics.
> >
> > best regards
> > Matthias
> I already did that and the card doesn't show up twice in dmesg.
> ep0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x30f irq 10: 3Com 3C509 Ethernet
>
> I also tried a working crossover cable but the result is the same: link
> negotiation and status ok, but no data transmittion.
>
> Regards,
>     Rui Paulo

I've got a 3c509 configured in plain-isa mode (I used the 3com config
utility disk to set its address/irq/everything) and it too shows odd
behavior: it works fine, I can ping it, do NFS over it, etc, but the LED on
the card blinks on and off at roughly half-second intervals, even with zero
activity on that switch port. More of a curiosity than a problem, but it has
always struck me as odd...

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII