Subject: Re: NetBSD ruined my NIC??
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Fors <pikofarad@bredband.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2004 15:14:08
Ok, now I've managed to build a hacked up NetBSD 1.6.2-RELEASE boot floppy
which detects the faulty fxp device. I've done this by adding the 0x1051 PCI
ID into sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.h and sys/dev/pci/if_fxp_pci.c. I then modified
the code inside the sys/dev/ic/i82557.c to dump the contents of the EEPROM
(a basic for loop starting at offset 0 and stopping after offset 63 doing an
fxp_read_eeprom for 1 word and then a printf of that word) and also
commented out the "disabling dynamic standby mode" section. The output of
the EEPROM dump looks like this:

0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0x0000 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF
0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0x0000 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF
0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF
0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0x0000 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF
0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0x0000
0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF 0xFFFF

This doesn't look too good? It does explain why the Intel diagnostics (and
also fxp driver) thinks the MAC address of my NIC is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Can
anyone get anything out of this or even tell me what offsets need to be
changed for the PCI ID, MAC etc?

Thanks!

/ Peter Fors