Subject: Re: NetBSD ruined my NIC??
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: bob <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/15/2004 18:22:41
Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:53:33 +0200
> "Peter Fors" <pikofarad@bredband.net> wrote:
>

>>2. Why doesn't NetBSD even ask a single question before doing this kind of
>>dangerous modification to the hardware?
>>

> Why are you so sure it was NetBSD's fault ? Several uncommon situations could happen that could lead to EEPROM destruction.
>

> -
> Rui Paulo <goteki@pixeloverflow.com>
> 3F1E DB64 40B0 B027 1F3C  4A4A 1384 42C6 B05A DCB7
>
>   "Simplicity is the ultimate
>     sophistication."
>     -- Leonardo da Vinci

Empirical methodology, last thing to change must have broken it.
Proving NetBSD did not cause it is just as hard as attempting to prove
it do cause the problem.
However, sufficient information that would lead to a good analytical
attack on the problem are not present in the exchange so far:
1. what is the mother board model
2. Mother board age?
3. How many writes to the eeprom?
4. any history of this type of motherboard experiencing this kind of
problem - meaning loosing eeprom?
5. Any history of this type of board experiencing this kind of problem
with NetBSD?
6. Any other board types/models that have experienced similar problems
with NetBSD?
7. Any anomalous circumstances during the install - power problems,
thunderstorms, cat jumping into the computer, environmental anomalies?

That would be a fair analytical start.  It would also provide some
awareness if such problems have occured before.

I have no knowledge of this problem in this case, but have seen various
manufacturers boards fail due to eeprom problems - something just
happened - and then found out the tech building the system might have
forgotten to put on static strap, that there was a power problem
(mains/ac, power supply, connector forced on wrong - happens) and just
plain = I don't know how this happened comments BUT I have also seen
working memory fail for no reason, eeproms fail for no reason, they just
stop working, and more strange things.
bob
--

What the people want is very simple - they want an America as good as
its promise.