Subject: Re: USB cameras and NetBSD 2.0 Beta (i386)
To: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/15/2004 04:06:42
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Dave Tyson wrote:

> I have been trying to get a Canon Powershot A80 working with NetBSD 2.0
> and gphoto2. So far this has been unsuccessful, usbdevs reports that
> the camera can be seen, but gphoto2 from pkgsrc fails to see it.
>
> (this is under root - 2.0 Beta from releng snap 09/04/2004)
>  NetBSD darkstar 2.0_BETA NetBSD 2.0_BETA (DAVE.MP) #1: Sun Apr 11 19:27:48
> BST 2004  root@darkstar:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/DAVE.MP i386
[snip]
> There is some info about Linux & FreeBSD usb issues on the gphoto web
> site, however nothing about NetBSD :-(
>
> I was wondering if this was an issue with a user level usb library
> failing to access the device. I tried changing the perms on
> /dev/ugen0.04 with no effect. Has anyone else managed to get a usb
> camera to be recognised with gphoto2 or has some clue as to what needs
> to be done...

I've just tried this version of gphoto2 and dependancies from pkgsrc:

libexif-0.5.12nb1.tgz
libusb-0.1.7.tgz
libgphoto2-2.1.4.tgz
aalib-1.4.0.4nb1.tgz
gphoto2-2.1.4.tgz

on NetBSD 1.6ZF (-current from around december).

and it works fine with my Canon Digital IXUS 400:

jasper@jellycat:~/personal/camera/[0]> gphoto2 -L
Detected a 'Canon:Digital IXUS 400'.
There are no files in folder '/'.
There are no files in folder '/DCIM'.
There is one file in folder '/DCIM/101CANON':
#1     IMG_0184.JPG               rd   879 KB image/jpeg
There are no files in folder '/DCIM/CANONMSC'.
There are no files in folder '/MISC'.
jasper@jellycat:~/personal/camera/[0]> gphoto2 -P
Detected a 'Canon:Digital IXUS 400'.
Downloading 'IMG_0184.JPG' from folder '/DCIM/101CANON'...
Saving file as IMG_0184.JPG

I did do

chown jasper /dev/usb*
chown jasper /dev/ugen*

maybe you just need to change the perms on the /dev/usb* devices?

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]