Subject: Re: Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) MBR/IDE support possible?
To: None <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2004 16:44:19
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:39:36 +0200
Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

[snip]

> Q: How to use such kind of disk/bios workaround under netbsd? (Is
>    there any way?)

I use that kind of thing with NetBSD on my old Thinkpad with a 10 GB disk.
I couldn't get the boot loader to work, so used I Grub.
Other than that all you need to do is to keep in mind that the offsets
in the disklabel and the partition table differ by 63, so don't use mbrlabel(8)
if you dual boot. I suggested an alternative solution before; see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-misc/2003/09/15/0000.html
(I think Linux 2.6 has the ability to resize the drive on boot,
so you don't need the DDO loader at all, assuming your boot loader
and kernel are located on sectors below the clipping offset.)