Subject: Re: Xbox port - bootloader
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/2004 13:47:37
>>>>> "hf" == Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> writes:
>>>>> "cl" == Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu> writes:

    hf> What exactly is the problem - finding the start address?

    hf> you may need to do relocation of the various sections

    cl> you'll probably have to clear the bss early in locore.S

I'm working on an XBox, too, but collaborating with my roomate to make
it boot Linux.  Apparently this is also a challenge since all binary
images of cromwell are out-of-date, and many things don't build or
work properly, and of course everything is totally uncommented and
undocumented, even compared to NetBSD's, um...occasional brevity and
RTFS docs.

Since there is already some grub in cromwell, maybe you want to try to
steal grub's NetBSD loader.  Maybe it's possible to slap something
together that works, using grub but without fully understanding the
NetBSD load/setup process yourself.

cromwell does not use grub to load Linux---it only uses grub's
filesystem code.  I speculate this is because there is real-mode code
in grub and in the Linux header that gets loaded at 0x90000 that won't
run without a PeeCee BIOS, but I don't really know.

AFAIK for FATX and iso9660 cromwell doesn't use grub at all.  It kind
of pisses me off because their boasting comes close to ``cromwell _is_
grub'' which makes one think it's going to suck less than it actually
does.  But it's still sorta okay.

HTH. :(

at least you don't have to deal with ``gentoox BY SH3LL4X!!1!''

--
Like Speed Dating before it, Dinner in the Dark is the latest gimmick
in the high-stakes world of urban mating. . . . a four-course dinner