Subject: Re: Large Memory Support
To: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2004 16:23:31
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:22:51AM -0600, Thomas T. Thai wrote:

> I've found that more work is needed to get i386 to support CPU features
> PAE and PSE36 for systems with greater than 4 gig of RAM. Some of that
> work has already been done in AMD/64 port.
>
> I tried including 'largepages.inc" but the system rebooted itself after
> the booting sequence came to:

Yes, largepages support is broken.  However, that's not all that relevant
to your problem.  What you really need is the pmap from the amd64 port,
lightly worked over to also work on the i386 port.  I'm pretty sure
Frank's original intention was to unify the two pmaps and it does not
look like it would be so hard to do (just as a point of reference, these
features actually originate in the MMU of the i860, and in fact almost a
decade ago some versions of Mach used the same pmap module on the i860 and
on the x86).

If you want to tackle this, wonderful!  I'm sure a number of people will
be willing to help you with documentation, advice, and possibly code.

FYI, I've moved this thread from "current-users" to port-i386/tech-kern
where I think it probably belongs.

Thor