Subject: SMP Compaq AP400
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Sabet <louis@mobiles.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/2004 16:51:27
Hi there,

I'm just having a play with NetBSD again, having not used it for several
years now, and I'm pleased to see that very little has changed :-).

I wanted to set up a simple machine for running some logging software I
use, which is quite CPU and RAM intensive, so I'm using a dual processor
PIII-700 Compaq AP400 with 512Mb RAM.

I installed NetBSD 1.6.2/i386 earlier, and the install went well, and
everything works apart from my two processors (at least I don't think they
do).

dmesg tells me about just one processor, which it identifies as a
PII(Deschutes) running at just under 500MHz, and no mention of cpu1 - just
cpu0.

I'm not too worried about the clock speed, as this may be an issue with the
Compaq BIOS misreporting the clock speed (although linuxes seem to be OK on
picking up the 700Mhz clock speed on these compaqs) as the AP400
motherboards were originally designed only to take 500MHz chips, and later
compaq decided to sell them with 700 MHz as well. I would however very much
like my 2nd CPU to be available to me!

I've never tried using any SMP on NetBSD, and have found it quite hard
finding information on the subject - am I banging my head against a brick
wall, or is there a solution? I'm guessing a simple kernel recompile would
do it, but I didn't see any mention of SMP anywhere really, and I'm
surprised the kernel doesn't have SMP support built in anyway.

Any tips would be very much appreciated :-)

Best regards

Louis

--
Louis Sabet