Subject: Re: VLAN Configuration Problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2004 10:12:59
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:32:28PM +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:
> I've tried a simple experiment using VLANs with an HP ProCurve 4000M
> switch but for some (probably stupid) reason haven't succeeded...
>
> I created two new VLANs named test1 and test2 on the switch with tags
> 10 and 11, respectively, then put one port into test1, another into
> test2, and a third in both.  I connected a PC running a recent
> -current build to the "common" port and one NetBSD/i386 machine to
> each of the others, then attempted to configure the "common" machine
> so it could ping each of the others, but no joy.  The best I could
> get was a successful ping to one but not both.
>
> The central machine has an ex0 NIC.  Does it matter whether or not
> ex0 has been configured, and is  up or not, at the time the pseudo
> vlan device is created?
>
> What's the appropriate combination of assigning an IP number(s) and
> subnet mask(s) to ex0 and vlan0 -- should both devices be given these
> values or just one, and should they be the different?
>
> Should I have created two pseudo vlan devices or just one?  At first
> I configured the switches "common" port to be tagged (in the switch's
> configuration nomenclature) for the VLAN test1 and untagged for
> test2.  When I didn't succeed I selected "tagged" for both its VLANs
> and created another vlan pseudo device, but it didn't help.

This is my working configuration using an 3COM 3300 switch. The port
feeding ex0 is set to tagged-only (the VLAN tags must be on the wire):

ex0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        capabilities=7<IP4CSUM,TCP4CSUM,UDP4CSUM>
        enabled=0
        address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
vlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        vlan: 528 parent: ex0
        address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        inet yyy.yyy.yyy.62 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast yyy.yyy.yyy.255
vlan1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        vlan: 529 parent: ex0
        address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        inet zzz.zzz.zzz.62 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast zzz.zzz.zzz.255

configured from /etc/rc.conf with:

auto_ifconfig=NO
ifconfig_ex0="up"
ifconfig_vlan0="inet yyy.yyy.yyy.62 netmask 0xffffff00 vlan 528 vlanif ex0"
ifconfig_vlan1="inet zzz.zzz.zzz.62 netmask 0xffffff00 vlan 529 vlanif ex0"
net_interfaces="ex0 vlan0 vlan1"

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)