Subject: Re: X86 Hardware Questions
To: Jeff Flowers <jeff@duckfoo.net>
From: Simas Mockevicius <symka@netbsd.vejas.lt>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/2004 22:03:51
--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:46:02PM -0500, Jeff Flowers wrote:
> I am building a new computer to run NetBSD on. But I have a couple of
> questions first:
>=20
> 1. Can NetBSD make use of Serial-ATA controllers/drives yet? The Intel
> D875PBZ board has both EIDE and Serial-ATA controllers but I would
> prefer to eliminate a ribbon cable if possible.

Yes and no :) SATA is available only on -current. But I have two servers
with SATA and -current: one of them proxy, other - www/mysql/pgsql. Runs ve=
ry=20
smoothly. Forget to mention: proxy server is a master transparent proxy ser=
ver
for about 800 of users, web server is for about 800 local, and thousands of
others :)

>=20
> 2. I will need to interface this computer with a 802.11b wireless
> network. There are a few cards listed as compatable but can anyone
> recommend a wireless PCI card that they have has a good experience with?
>=20

I think Lucent is the best. As far as I am using, one of my routers with lu=
cent
serving Internet for 64 users:
symka@[xxx] ~> uname -a
NetBSD [xxx].remo.lt 1.6.1 NetBSD 1.6.1

symka@[xxx] ~> uptime
 9:47PM  up 323 days,  4:50, 1 user, load averages: 0.17, 0.17, 0.16
=20
quite stable ? :)

--=20
Sincerely,