Subject: Re: Getting Compaq WL110 Wireless card to work
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Simas Mockevicius <symka@netbsd.vejas.lt>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2004 18:53:54
--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:08:05AM -0500, Yasir Malik wrote:
> Hello,
> According to the NetBSD man pages, my Compaq WL110 wireless card is not
> supported.  I looked at the source, and in /sys/dev/ic/wi.c I don't see my
> card in the wi_card_indent structure.  I also don't see my card in
> /sys/dev/pcmcia/if_wi_pcmcia.c in the wi_pcmcia_product structure.
> However, FreeBSD does support my wireless card.  Could I just simple copy
> the card id, name, and other information from the FreeBSD source into
> the respective files in the NetBSD source?  If so, which files would I
> need to edit in the NetBSD and FreeBSD sources?
> I had emailed a message to this list earlier saying that I couldn't get my
> wireless card working with GENERIC_LAPTOP, but no reply.  I really don't
> think this is a problem with my kernel or laptop.  I think it's just
> because my card is not supported.
> Thanks,
> Yasir Malik

Hi, Yasir,

just vendor ID and similar information dont makes your card to work,
copy/paste from freebsd drivers dont works also. There are many things
to change, to make it work.
To let recognize your card to NetBSd you can put vendor and product id,'s=
=20
but card will not work, "not configured" because of missing drivers.
If this card have similar chipset to other which NetBSD have drivers
I think there is not much work to make it working, but if chipset is new
then.. :)

--=20
Sincerely,
Simas Mockevicius