Subject: lock up in 1.6.1, 1.6.2RC4
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: James Burton <james@jmsh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/2004 16:14:38
About 6 months ago I upgraded my desktop from 1.5 to 1.6.1
and ever since then I have had regular lockups. The result is I
can't get any sort of response from the machine and have to press the reset
button. There are 2 sure-fire ways of causing this immediately.

1. start an XDMCP client pointed at it's xdm server (e.g. from my WinXP box run
Cygwin/Xfree in XDMCP client mode)

2. access any web page with a CGI behind it hosted on Mr. Crashy's httpd.

It will also periodially lock itself when I've looked at lots of photos
from the web server or played a lot of mp3 over samba etc.

Seems by behaviour to be related to network activity.
This morning I upgraded to 1.6.2RC4 in vain hope of it going away.
I've just run memtest for nearly 2 hours and found no memory probs.
A few weeks ago I re-compiled a kernel with kernel debugger in
and wasn't able to get it to drop into the debugger after the lockup.

I am now officially stumped.
I'm going to try current on it, but thats a right-royal PITA.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might find out more?

Thanks,
James

---
James Burton (james@jmsh.net)           like the time when you felt like