Subject: Re: palmtop PC with x86
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2004 16:54:11
> 	the machine looks so nice to have *BSD on!
> 	http://www.flipstartpc.com/

Yup, the same can be said for the OQO:

	http://www.oqo.com/

However, palm-top PC's have been vapor-ware for nearly 3 years,
and their companies that announce them have consistantly pushed
backed their release dates.  The FlipStartPC is the newest
incarnation of the Vulcan PC, which was announced more than 2
years ago.  I really do hope that they release it soon, but I
would not hold my breath.

Sorry if I sound upset, but I have been waiting years for these
palm-top PC's to be released, and was forced to settle on a much
larger JVC-Victor Interlink MP-7310 sub-notebook:

	http://www.dynamism.com/7310/

which to the best of my knowledge is still the smallest PC laptop
still in production.  (Note that Sony stopped production of the U101
and all other U series sub-notebooks last May.)  And yes, I do have
NetBSD running on the JVC 7310, with XFree86, audio, and internal
ethernet all working great.  Still waiting though for NetBSD-current
to support ACPI sleep, ACPI cardbus, and Centrino Wi/Fi.

I have considered replacing the Intel Centrino Wireless Pro 2100
mini-pci card with another wireless mini-pci card that has NetBSD
support, but all of the replacement mini-pci card are much taller
than the Centrino and likely won't fit.

Alicia.