Subject: Multiple NetBSD portions on a disk
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2004 15:10:43
Hiya.

I'm a happy camper; I found a larger disk for my i386 laptop (Toshiba
Satellite, pentium class). I'd like to have 2 OSes on it (NetBSD and
Win98, to be precise), but the thing isn't making it easy for me. It has
a 1024-cylinder booting limit, as well as an 8GB limit under DOS/windows.

Windows can't access beyond 8 GB; NetBSD can. So NetBSD will have to go and
sit on the end of the disk. However, the root filesystem needs to be contained
under the 1024 cylinder limit.

The disk is probed as having 16 heads and 63 sectors, and I can't change
that mapping, so the 1024 cylinder boundary is somewhere at 500MB - which
leads me to a dilemma. NetBSD needs to be both at the begin, as well as at
the end of the disk *and* I want a considerable amount of diskspace available
for Windows.

So my plan is to make the root filesystem (Say, 128MB or so) sit at the
begin of the disk, and the rest at the end. However, I've noticed that NetBSD
doesn't really understand having more than one slice.

Will things go terribly wrong if I just create a small partition at the begin
of the disk, and craft a disklabel in it with partitions pointing to somewhere
at the end of the disk? The installer won't like this, ofcourse, but that's
the least of my worries...

I'm running -current on it (sources from last weekend).

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pienjo@c64.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333