Subject: DUMMY_NOPS vs PIC_DELAY ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/2004 19:07:19
In poking around GENERIC_LAPTOP a few minutes ago, I noticed that
there was still a commented-out #options DUMMY_NOPS line... I recalled
that it had been removed from GENERIC some time ago, so I did a little
poking, and it looks like fvdl@ removed it from GENERIC, GENERIC_TINY,
INSTALL_SMALL and INSTALL_TINY on Jan 8, 2003, but left it in the
other i386 kernel configs.   The log message indicates that
DUMMY_NOPS was replaced with PIC_DELAY, which is inverted - to be
used only on old machines.  I have two questions:

1)  Is there any reason why DUMMY_NOPS shouldn't be completely excised
from the source tree?  It was removed from locore at the time it
was renamed from locore.s to locore.S.  I can whip up some patches and
send-pr them if it's agreed this is a good idea.

2)  I can't actually find anywhere in the -current src tree where PIC_DELAY
is actually _used_.  Is this an oversight, un-garbage-collected cruft
from some other changes, or what?  Or, did I just miss where in the src
it's checked?  If it's not actually used, I can likewise send-pr some
patches to remove it as well.

Thanks,
+j

--