Subject: Kernel Config - SHMMAXPGS
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Harding <iharding@tpchd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/2004 12:34:50
I have compiled a kernel having made the following changes to my
configuration

< #options      SEMMNI=10       # number of semaphore identifiers
< #options      SEMMNS=60       # number of semaphores in system
< #options      SEMUME=10       # max number of undo entries per process
< #options      SEMMNU=30       # number of undo structures in system
---
 > options       SEMMNI=256      # number of semaphore identifiers
 > options       SEMMNS=512      # number of semaphores in system
 > options       SEMUME=40       # max number of undo entries per process
 > options       SEMMNU=256      # number of undo structures in system
80c80
< #options      SHMMAXPGS=1024  # 1024 pages is the default
---
 > options       SHMMAXPGS=16192 # 1024 pages is the default

and installed the resulting kernel and rebooted.  However, the whole
reason for this is to increase the shared_buffers in postgresql.conf.
 When I do so, I still get this error in the postgres log...
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=10035200, 03600) failed:
Invalid argument

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory
segment exceeded your kernel's SHMMAX parameter.  You can either
reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX.
To reduce the request size (currently 10035200 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 1000) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 16).

If the request size is already small, it's possible that it is less than
your kernel's SHMMIN parameter, in which case raising the request size or
reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.

My uname -a is...
NetBSD devil.tpchd.org 1.6.1 NetBSD 1.6.1 (planning) #1: Tue Feb  3
10:36:28 PST 2004
iharding@devil.tpchd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/planning i386

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  It worked on 1.5.2....

Thanks!!

--
It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense. ( Miller, 1993 , p. 4)