Subject: Re: dual-booting a WinXP box?
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2004 23:51:44
In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0401291413210.4279@rivendell.starwolf.com>,
Greywolf writes:

-> Thus spake Daniel Carosone ("DC> ") sometime Tomorrow...
->
-> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:43:23PM -0500, Steve Bellovin wrote:
-> > > I'm about to install NetBSD on the second partition of a Windows XP
-> > > box.  What's the best way to make it dual-boot?  Is there any reason
-> > > not to use the NetBSD MBR stuff?  (To date, I've had no problem with
-> > > the NetBSD boot on a Win2k machine.)
-> >
-> > The NetBSD mbr bootselector works very well for this.
->
-> Indeed (I'm doing it with no problems).  In fact, if you install the mbr
-> bootselector on multiple disks, it falls through a chain very nicely :)

For my Win2k laptop, I used the trick of creating a file with the PBR code,
putting it the Win2k partition and pointing boot.ini at it, which meant
that I'd get NetBSD as an option in the Win2k bootloader.  This took a
little bit of setup, but the instructions to make it go are all either
in the FAQ or the NetBSD Guide.

When I installed NetBSD on the new laptop with WinXP, I just decided to
let sysinst install the NetBSD bootselector and have been using that; in
my opinion it's not as slick as booting from the Win2k bootloader menu
since the interface is very much limited but it works just fine and I
also have had 0 problems.

I'd like to try and set the first way up on the XP laptop at some point
but I think it may be more complicated due to David Laight's changes to
the PBR code (I'm also not sure if XP changed anything that would make
this harder, but since it is a MS product I wouldn't be surprised :-),
since it relied on having the boot drive hardcoded in the PBR, etc.  In
any case, the native NetBSD boot selector is functional/stable enough
that there's ~ no incentive to move away from it :-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill