Subject: Toshiba Satellite Pro (old) PCMCIA problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Erikson <magetoo@spray.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2004 20:36:48

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0045231074195408_ID

Hello.

I have a problem with a Toshiba laptop and PCMCIA network cards, and hope
someone here might have any idea what to do.

Symptoms: Machine hangs when trying to access the network (details below).
Tested with two cards, both work fine on the same machine under Linux
(tomsrtbt, floppy distro, 2.0.38 kernel if I remember correctly) and That
Other OS 98.

The two cards are a 3Com "Etherlink III LAN PC Card / For 10BASE-T")
(3c589D) and a Xircom "CreditCard Ethernet Adapter II PS" which I
borrowed from a friend.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420 CDS (Pentium 100, ISA, from
around 1996 I think.)

This is what it says during bootup (with the 3Com card):

isa0 at mainbus0
[...]
pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xdffff irq
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
pcic0: controller 1 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has no sockets
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
[...]
pcic0: controller 0 detecting irqs with mask 0xdeb8:..9..10..11
pcic0: using irq 9 for socket events
[...]
ep0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: 3Com 3c589 10Mbps Ethernet
ep0: address 00:90:4b:ff:01:b3, 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 3:5 Rx:Tx split
ep0: 10baseT, 10base5, 10base2 (default 10base2)

So, I can see the card, give it an address with ifconfig and even ping it.
But it claims to be set to media type 10base2, which is not what I want.
With kernel 1.5.2, if I try to change to 10baseT, the machine hangs.  With
1.6 or 1.6.1 , I can change media type but the machine hangs if I try to
ping something on my network (aside from the laptop itself).  Also, for some
reason the console driver is still responding so I can see myself typing
^C ^Z, etcetera, but nothing else.  I can't even get into the debugger..

By this time I was thinking it might be a buggy driver that was not happy
with the dongle / adapter thingy. It does not match the card type perfectly;
the card claims to be TP only, and the dongle is a "PC LAN Card Cable / For
10BASE-T and Coax".

Some time later I decided to give up and try a different card, so I borrowed
a Xircom card from a friend.  I didn't think of copying the kernel output,
but didn't see anything obviously suspicious.  It did say something like

xi0: media type: none (default auto)

 .though.  Even with the network cable attached.

That didn't work very well either.  I tried kernels 1.5.2 (from the original
install) and 1.6.1 (which I compiled for the machine) and got a total lockup
as soon as I let ifconfig even touch the card.  (But like before with the
console still working).

Now I'm at a complete loss for ideas.  I suspect something with the PCMCIA
code, but don't have any other cards to try with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please note that I do not have
any form of Internet access at home, so it might take a few days for me
to try suggestions and get back to you.  (Or even say thanks.)

Take care,
Magnus

Avsl=F6jad! Rolig feature - se anonymt vad folk s=F6ker p=E5 Lycos S=F6k:
http://lycos.spray.se/fluktaren.html

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0045231074195408_ID--