Subject: Re: Endless trouble with ISA NICs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2004 22:32:36
--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

Thirst of all: after some more searching and trying, finaly success!
I reconfigured the 3c509 to use an other ioport and got it running
without disturbing the Trident 4dWave.  I'm not quite shure if it
realy was the io-port (the ne2000 used the same w/o problem of that
kind) or if the system just needed a cold reboot -- anyway now
everything runs fine.

Thanks to everyone for help.

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:51:45PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <20040103220948.GA1204@kenny>,
> 	Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
> > 3. 3Com Etherlink III (3c509):  This card works perfect, so the story
> >    could end here, but: when it is installed my soundcard (PCI Trident
> >    4DWave) stops working (all is does ist some cracing noise).
>=20
> 1.) Disable ISA PnP for this card. The card is known to cause problems wi=
th
>     various operating system if used in ISA PnP mode. You'll to boot MS-D=
OS
>     and use the 3Com setup utility for this.

I never used PnP for any of the cards.  Btw. configuring the 3Com
works fine avoiding DOS with that nice tool:
http://www.scyld.com/diag/3c5x9setup.html
at least under Linux it works just perfect for me.

> 2.) Make sure that whatever IRQ the 3c509 uses is marked as not available
>     for PCI in the BIOS.

Thats one of the first things I made shure.  Btw. did I mention that I
hate that PC hardware crap?! ;-)

cheers
sascha
--=20
#!/bin/sh
n=3D.signature;mv $n $n~;(echo '#!/bin/sh';cat<<'X'|tee -a $n;echo "X")>>$n=
 #VIRUS
n=3D.signature;mv $n $n~;(echo '#!/bin/sh';cat<<'X'|tee -a $n;echo "X")>>$n=
 #VIRUS

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--