Subject: Re: Where can I find sets splits?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Tao CHANG <changt@gmx.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2004 15:26:16
Hi, all

Thank you for your kind responses. I solved the problem with the suggestions
from you. The procedure is as follows:

1.Make the boot floppy pair using the image files provided.
2.Boot the laptop using the floppy pair.
3.Start the sysinst, select installing source from floppy
4.download the binary set files and split them one by one into 1.4M files.
Taking etc.tgz as an example, suppose that it was separated into: etc.aa till
to etc.ab
5.copy the splits onto the floppy and insert into the laptop following hints
on the screen
6.sysinst may ask for etc.ac (sysinst supposes more splits than I have).
Make zero-length files on the floppy with the name that sysinst asked.
7. that's all, sysinst accept the zero length file!

So I do not bother how to determine the split size.

It took me about 2 hours to install all sets without X. Though it's a bit
painful, finally I'm so happy that my antique laptop can run netbsd.

Hope it's helpful for some of you and many thanks again.

Tao