Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/2003 21:51:00
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 11:54:43PM +0100, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar [Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 12:40:20AM +0100]:
> > i rather prefer source modules than unknown code.
>
> You read all the sources you compile and use, line by line, right?

if something's going whacky it's a heck of a lot easier to debug if you
have the source.

"where is that error message generated?"
"what caused that condition?"

even if you don't regularly read the source, it is a helpful
troubleshooting tool to have available.

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown