Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: Tim Shepard <shep@alum.mit.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/2003 16:20:54
In message <E1AYSbz-0005KY-00@alva.home>, you write:

-> Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl> wrote:
-> > Wojciech Puchar [Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 12:40:20AM +0100]:
-> > > i rather prefer source modules than unknown code.
-> >
-> > You read all the sources you compile and use, line by line, right?
->
->
-> I cannot speak for Wojchiech, but maybe I can explain why many people
-> strongly prefer using open source software:
->
-> When I run code written by someone else on my computer, I am turning
-> my computer and all the state it contains (which I do value) over to
-> the (in)competence and intent (malicious or benevolent) of the code's
-> author.  Given that, I *much* prefer to run code that is open for peer
-> review rather than to run code that is withheld from peer review.

Totally agreed...  OTOH, be aware that you were replying to the troll who
was kidnapping a thread about modularizing the NetBSD kernel by demand-
"i rather prefer source modules than unknown code" was just a red-herring.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill