Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <netbsd2@bitparts.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/2003 17:36:36
So I'm not a kernel programmer, so I may be speaking completely out of
my ass here, but would it be possible to to strip all of the
netcard/soundcard/USB/whathaveyou drivers out of the kernel and turn
them into LKMs? Granted, you'd still want bus and scsi drivers (for boot
support) in the kernel itself, but what about anything that's not
required to boot? Perhaps you could even put IPSEC, PPP, and various net
(anet, pty, gre, etc) stuff in LKMs?

Excuse me if I've just made it painfully obvious that I don't know what
LKMs are used for. Like I said, I'm not a kernel programmer, just making
educated guesses.