Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: Samuel Boivie <z@kdu.se>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/2003 16:39:31
Thus spake Samuel Boivie ("SB> ") sometime Tomorrow...

SB> Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:
SB> GW> As long as you have any of your onboard COM, BPP, speaker or fdc being
SB> GW> used, as well as the math coprocessor, you will not be able to escape
SB> GW> having isa present.
SB>
SB> While not talking GENERIC anymore I still don't know what that math
SB> coprocessor really does. I thought newer intel processors had one
SB> "integrated" into the cpu (486 and newer). If that's correct why does my
SB> mainboard (asus p4) have an isa one? And do I _need_ it? My floppy is
SB> rarely used, com unused and bpp (if that is some kind of parallell port,
SB> otherwise I'm not sure what you mean) also unused. The speaker makes me
SB> crazy so that wouldn't be a great loss either (yes, I know how to make it
SB> shut up).

Yes, it's integrated, but I think it still has to "find" it to be able
to use it properly.

If someone could confirm or deny this, I'd love to know.

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

	 With many thanks to the NetBSD development team and UCB CSRG.