Subject: Cd-rom causing problems during installation boot
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2003 15:35:24
Hi All,

I just got myself a nice 200mhz MMX Pentium box
(compared with the old 75mhz one I was using earlier)
for my NetBSD use.  So I decided to move much of the
hardware from the old box to the new one including an
Adaptec ISA SCSI Controller Card, SCM ISA PCMCIA
SwapBox Card Reader, and the cd-rom since the cd-rom
was dead on the new box.

Well, when I tried to install NetBSD with the
transferred hardware, I got some odd error messages
during the boot (they are listed below).  So I did
some diagnosing and found out that the error messages
was caused when the cd-rom was attached (also had some
problems with SCSI card, but was able to fix that in
the BIOS).

Basically, the error messages will only show-up if the
cd-rom is attached.  But, whats odd, if I put the
first boot floppy and the NetBSD cd in it at the same
time, the computer will read whatever the second
floppy has off the cd-rom.  So I am not sure why when
it probes the hardware after loading the kernel and
installer, it finds these problems.

The following error messages are repeated for at least
20 times with different numbers.  Also, when the
cd-rom is attached, there is no mention of the PCMCIA
card reader during the boot:

pciide0:1:1: recal timed out

wd1d: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd1 bn0; cn 0 tn
0 sn 0), retrying

pciide0:1:1: lost interrupt
      type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

It also mentions this once, at least:

wd1: dos partiton I/O error

After it repeats, it will bring up the installer page
like normal.

I also have been asking some experts of the computer
(Compaq) and they are not so sure what is causing this
problem, so I guess this might not be totally related
to hardware configuration problems.

If anyone wants to see some of their suggestions, here
is a link:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=318047

If anyone might know whats causing this problem,
please let me know.

Thanks,
J Silverman