Subject: Re: GRUB + bootxx problem
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Joachim Thiemann <thiemann@gel.usherbrooke.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2003 14:23:40
On December 17, 2003 16:36, David Laight wrote:
> $ /sbin/installboot /dev/wd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

No luck. Same message.

> $ cp /usr/mdec/boot /boot

Tried that as well, and re-ran installboot afterwards as well. (AFAIK,
installboot _must_ be run after copying "boot" since it modifies it in some
way, right?  Or links the bootcode at the partition start to it or
something.

I have tried "installboot /dev/rwd0 /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1",
"installboot /dev/rwd0 /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2",
"installboot /dev/wd0 /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1" from the install floppy
(boot-big.fs booted off a cd - I have no floppy) (since /dev/wd0a is not
writeable if used while booted off it).  I have tried being explicit about
filesystem types, changing the timeout for good measure, and a few other
things (generally trying more and more desparate things until I have to
rewrite the partition table from a backup)

Anyways, the strange thing is that the old boot code worked from grub, and
the new one worked when loaded from the NetBSD MBR bootselector.

Actually, what is the proper procedure to reinstall the MBR bootselector?
Some variant of disklabel -B?  I'm currently reading the man page, but will
attempt this _very_ carefully given that its like clipping your nails with
a shotgun.

Joe.
--
http://www.gel.usherbrooke.ca/thiemann