Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2003 12:32:23
I agree with both.  It would be nice to have some smaller GENERIC=20
kernels, especially for older hardware, but the full-on GENERIC is=20
useful, too.

In addition, I'd like to see kernel configs for specific machines, like=20=

an AS400 config file, or a TiBook config file.  In particular, for=20
ports where there are specific models of machines (e.g. macppc with=20
TiBook, AlBook, B&W, PM7600, etc.), have config files for the shipped=20
models with options that are on the MB & (commented) options for=20
hardware that commonly shipped with them.  These don't have to be built=20=

in a make world build, just be available as easy starting points.

jf

On Dec 18, 2003, at 12:11 PM, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> We should keep one kernel that has it all.  I don't care
> what it's called, but it's convenient for several reasons.
>
> 	-- Lennart
>

> Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> Folks...
>> GENERIC has become absurdly big, ~7MB.
>> I think it's time to split the beast up a bit:
>>     GENERIC        "Modern" machines, basically systems that would
>>                 have PCI on them.  ISA bus support, and support
>>                 for ISA mainboard devices, but not the long list
>>                 of ISA Ethernet, SCSI, etc.
>>                 Open issue: How to deal with systems that have
>>                 PCI-EISA bridges.
>>     GENERIC_EISA
>>                 Targeted towards older EISA-based systems.  No
>>                 PCI support.
>>     GENERIC_ISA
>>                 Targeted towards older ISA-based systems.  No
>>                 PCI support.  No EISA support.
>> Comments?
>>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

--=20