Subject: Re: GRUB + bootxx problem
To: spamhog <spamhog@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2003 08:05:45
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:24:42AM +0100, spamhog wrote:

> David, thank you & PMJI,
> I am trying to avoid this very problem in multiboot comps,
> but even the theory is unclear to me.
>
> >> $ /sbin/installboot /dev/wd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
> Doesn't this install the NetBSD bootloaler MBR?
> Won't Linux remain unbootable?

No, installboot changes the boot code that exists in the 8k of space
at the start of the partition. fdisk changes the MBR.

> $ cp /usr/mdec/boot /boot
> That looks better... does this rebuild the chainloader
> into the boot sector of the NetBSD partition?
> (Assuming this was Joe's issue).

No, that is the code that is read in by the code added by installboot.

> David, Joe,
> Where do I stipulate "please don't mess with MBR & put loader
> in your own partition's boot sector, will you?" at install time?
> (I can't even find this in any of the Scriptures...)

sysinst asks about the MBR code, the partition boot stuff is (more or
less) part of the release and gets installed.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk