Subject: Re: i845 graphics
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2003 08:31:00
Hello,

> I thought XFree86 4.3.x i810(4) had a VideoRam option?
Yes, but it doesn't work on certain BIOSes ( it relies on some extended call that's not implemented on some - which results in a message in the log and still only ~1MB frame buffer ) - this is where the patch comes in. It doesn't allocate any RAM, it just hacks the BIOS image ( better - the RAM-mirrored image ) into thinking it has more video RAM - XFree somehow knows this and allocates it.
( don't ask me what /exactly/ it does - all I did was making it work on BSD )

have fun
Michael