Subject: Re: Lucent Wavelan Silver Configuration Problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2003 18:24:11
--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

JS wrote:
> --- Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Often these are just DOS tools and the
> > self-extracting exe files contain
> > zips which can be unzipped with just any zip around.
> > At least I've
> > successfully updated my mobo BIOS under FreeDOS
> > (freedos.org) with
> > the AMI flash tool.

Sorry, if didn't make myself clear. I was referring to
updating the BIOS of a motherboard which is usually possible
with a DOS tool from the vendor of the BIOS. Whether this
is also possible in your case - I don't know. I just meant
you could look whether the tool is just a DOS (or console)
program e.g., by trying it under FreeDOS (you also can use
``file'' to check want kind of executable it is).

> Hmm, so does this mean that I could just make some
> FreeDOS boot floppies, boot onto the floppies, switch
> the floppies with the one containing the update, and
> install it from there, even without having to install
> windows?

If the update tool is indeed just a DOS tool (and I know
that NICs often still come with some DOS tools), yes.
There's *is* a BIOS-interface for PCMCIA hardware so if
the hardware isn't too cheap which means it would offer
this interface, it should be 'visible' from DOS and a
vendor could offer a very basic configuration/update
tool. AFAIK, the only hard part is to find the hardware
without screwing the box which is possible with the
BIOS interface.

--=20
Christian

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig