Subject: Lucent Wavelan Silver Configuration Problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2003 07:20:01
Hi All,

I have posted a similar message at the netbsd-help
mailing list, but I have not received much help on
this problem; maybe because this is a port specific
issue.  Here is the problem I am experiencing:

I currently have an old 75 mhz Pentium running
-current (1.6.1) with 16 mb of ram and two hard
drives, one (IDE) around 540 mb (running /) and
another (SCSI) around 4 GB which runs /usr.  For the
scsi drive, I have an Adaptec ISA SCSI controller card
installed.  I also installed a SCM Swapbox PCMCIA ISA
bridge in which I have a Lucent Wavelan Silver 802.11b
card installed.

The problem seems to be with the Lucent card.  During
the boot, I notice the following errors in the dmesg:

wi0 at pcmcia2 function 0: Lucent Technologies,
WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.01

wi0: port 0x400-0x43fpcmcia2: card irq 4
could not get mac address, attach failed

wi0: failed to attach driver

I tried many things to get the driver to find the MAC
address, including changing settings in the bios, but
it still doesn't work.  I also tried compiling a
kernel with the settings in the "Using Wavelan under
NetBSD" page
(www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/wavelan.html) to
no avail.  I have, however, been able to change some
of the error messages with different settings in the
bios and the new kernel:

wi0 at pcmcia3 function 0: Lucent Technologies,
WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.01

wi0: port 0x400-0x43fpcmcia3: card irq 4

wi0: command timed out, cmd=0x0

wi0: init failed

wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fce0/0; last status 8000

wi0: wi_cmd: BUSY did not clear, cmd0x21
could not get mac address, attach failed

wi0: failed to attach controller

What do you all think could be causing this problem?
I have read somethings that maybe the hardware (BIOS,
PCMCIA bridge, Wavelan card) don't interact well with
each other and could cause problems.  I have also
found that maybe the firmware on the wavelan card is
too old.  However, I am not really sure.  Any advice
would really be appreciated!

Thanks,
J Silverman