Subject: Re: windows drivers on netbsd?
To: JTNelson <nelsonjt@earthlink.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/2003 22:38:11
In message <006d01c3a5a4$3b7b1ed0$2964a8c0@JTNHOME>, "JTNelson" writes:
>Would you not get a little too wedded to i386 and lose a little portability
>to other platforms, such as G5, by using windows drivers?

Sure.  But let me quote a post from yesterday:

   Subject: Re: Intel PRO/WLAN
   From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org>
   Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:07:04 +0100
   To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
   Cc: current-users@NetBSD.org

   On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:04:14AM +0200, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
   > I got few new laptops with this built-in WLAN card. Anyone working
   > to add support for this? Could I do something?
   >
   > Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (miscellaneous network,
   > revision 0x04) at pci1 dev 13 function 0 not configured

   Sadly, no. These are found on Centrino-based laptops. Intel has not
   released any documentation for them, so at the moment no open-source
   OS supports them. I'm not sure if it'll ever be supported.

Given a choice, no one wants to have such drivers.  We don't always
have a choice.